Sunday, January 29, 2012

2012 Fearless Poetry Exploration


I have decided to join Serena's challenge as I am in the midst of reading The Art of Losing: Poems of Grief & Healing, an anthology of poems edited by National Book Award finalist, Kevin Young.  I am also reading Lord Alfred Tennyson's epic poem In Memoriam A.H.H., written over a 17-year period in memory of his best friend and fellow poet, Arthur Henry Hallam


The rules are to complete one or a combination of the following: 1) read and review up to 2 books of poetry this year; 2) participate in at least 3 Virtual Poetry Circles or 3) sign up to feature poetry in April's National Poetry Month.

Poetry, a newly found genre, is becoming an important part of my grief journey, so I am desperately trying to self-educate.  I am excited to learn from others who are participating in this challenge.

I've been writing posts on Josh's blog and will post the links here.

Initial thoughts on TAOL and an original poem, "Silence is the Answer"
Initial thoughts on In Memoriam A.H.H
A.H.H. Canto IV - "deep vase of chilling tears"
Original poem: "Over and Over Again"
Epilogue by John Berryman and A.H.H. Canto V
Thoughts on "why poetry?" and original poem: "No Answer"
Prose poems - "The Dead" by Billy Collins and original poem: "Where He Lay"

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for joining the challenge. I'm glad that poetry is helping you with the grieving process...I cannot imagine losing a child...especially now that I am a new mom.

    ReplyDelete