Sunday, January 1, 2012

Recap of 2011 and Looking to 2012

It has been interesting to surf around the book blogging world to see the Top 10 lists of other bloggers.  My list is going to be a bit different as I am in the 33rd month of my grief/reading journey and want to think about the continued significance that books bring to my recovery. 

These candid memoirs by accomplished writers have been very helpful:
Tandem memoirs - I've read two sets. one by a father/daughter and one by two friends.  They really should be read one after the other. 
  • Darkenss Visible by William Styron and Reading My Father by Alexandra Styron
  • Autobiography of a Face by Lucy Grealy and Truth and Beauty by Ann Patchett
I've read a number of books that support the Thomas Jefferson quote: I cannot live without books.
I've gotten into the habit of listening to audio courses while in the car and have completed the following classes.   The bibliographies have greatly added to my Wish List and Mount TBR.
  • The Art of Reading by Prof. Timothy Spurgeon
  • Classics of British Literature by Prof. John Sutherland 
  • Foundations of Western Civilization II by Prof. Robert Buckholz
  • The English Novel by Prof. Timothy Spurgeon
  • Shakespeare: The Seven Major Tragedies by Prof. Harold Bloom
Books that have profoundly affected me:
Books that I REALLY liked:
I have participated in one read-a-long which was an enjoyable way to read a long book:
What do I look forward to in 2012?
  • Participate in another read-a-long and become more involved in the book blogging world
  • Tackle Shakespeare
  • Slowly read through a newly bought anthology of contemporary poetry on the subject of grief and healing
  • Read half the novels in Prof. Timothy Spurgeon's The English Novel.  The time period he covers is from 1740 to WWII.  I will star the ones that have been read.  Here is the list:
1740 - Pamela by Samuel Richardson
1747 - 1749 - Clarissa by Samuel Richardson
1749 - Tom Jones by Henry Fielding
1759 - 1767 - Tristam Shandy by Laurence Sterne
1778 - Evelina by Frances Burney
1794 - The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe
1813 - Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen*
1814 - Waverley by Sir Walter Scott
1815 - Emma by Jane Austen*
1826 - Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper (American)
1836 - 1837 - The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens
1837 - 1843 - Lost Illusions by Honore de Balzac (French)
1847 - Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte*
1847 - Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
1847 - 1848 - Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray
1849 - 1850 - David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
1851 - Moby Dick by Herman Melville (American)
1852 - 1853 - Bleak House by Charles Dickens
1857 - Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert*
1860 - Mill on the Floss by George Eliot
1860 - 1861 - Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
1865 - 1869 - War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
1871 - 1872 - Middlemarch by George Eliot
1875 - 1877 - Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy*

No comments:

Post a Comment