1 poetry collection
I plan to use this blog mainly as a place to keep track of the books read each year. As seen from the list so far, my reading has been eclectic and varied.
- New favorite female authors are Margaret Atwood and P.D. James.
- A number of books below, both old and new, reinforce my belief that death is not an end but rather a beginning to another type of existence.
- Read books by three poets who expressed their loss in different ways: Hirsch in a long poetic eulogy to his son; Doty in a prose memoir and Atwood in a collection of poems.
- Chipped away at my goal to read all the plays of the Greek tragedians (still have a few from Euripides left).
- Finally read The Great Gatsby and did not like it at all.
- Much to ponder from Bhagavad Gita, Tao Te Ching, Tolle, Thich Nhat Hanh and Chodron. I regret not being interested in these teaching earlier in life. Why did it take a horrible tragedy to begin what I now see as a true awakening?
- Been listening to the BBC World Book Club podcasts in the car where authors read from their book and answer questions (would highly recommend). As a result, read Corban, Haddon, and P.D. James.
- Circling back to WWII by reading about GI Brides and an incredible horse. I plan to visit the Marine Corps Museum to see the statue of Sgt. Reckless.
- Indulged in brain candy (Kinsella)
- Bhagavad Gita translated by Stephen Mitchell (5)
- 8 Limbs of Yoga by Bhava Ram (4)
- The Forks Over Knives Plan by Drs. Alona Pulde and Matthew Lederman (4)
- How to Meditate: A Practical Guide to Making Friends with Your Mind by Pema Chodron (5)
- I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (4)
- My Land and My People by Dalai Lama of Tibet (4)
- West With the Night by Beryl Markham (4)
- Finding Peter by William Peter Blatty (3)
- Gabriel: A Poem by Edward Hirsch (4)
- Heaven's Coast: A Memoir by Mark Doty (4)
- The Hand on the Mirror: A True Story of Life Beyond Death by Janis Heaphy Durham (4)
- A Little History of the World by E.H. Gombrich (4)
- Phoenecian Women by Euripides (4)
- Orestes by Euripides (3)
- Bacchae by Euripides (4)
- No Mud, No Lotus by Thich Nhat Hanh (5)
- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (3)
- Going After Cacciato by Tim O'Brien (4)
- Six Years by Harlan Coban (3.5)
- A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle (4)
- Blonde: A Novel by Joyce Carol Oates (5)
- My Story by Marilyn Monroe with Ben Hecht (5)
- The Curious Incident of the Dog In the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (5)
- The Map of Heaven by Eban Elexander with Ptolemy Tompkins (4)
- The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (5)
- Tao Te Ching version by Stephen Mitchell (5)
- Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood (4)
- GI Brides by Duncan Barrett and Nuala Calvi (3.5)
- Negotiating with the Dead: A Writer on Writing by Margaret Atwood (4)
- Beowulf: A New Version by Seamus Heaney (4)
- Morning in the Burned House: New Poems by Margaret Atwood (4)
- The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood (5)
- Death in the Holy Orders by P.D. James (4.5)
- Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen (4)
- Sgt. Reckless: America's War Horse by Robin Hutton (4)
- I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella (3)
- The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan (4)
- The Incarnations by Susan Barker (4)
- The Girl in the Spider's Web by David Lagercrantz (1)
- The Story of Art by E. H. Gombrich (5)
- Marilyn Norma Jean by Gloria stenhem/George Barris (photos) (4)
- An Army at Dawn (Vol I of Liberation Trilogy) by Rick Atkinson (4)
- Re-read: The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (5+)
- Memoirs of the Second World War by Winston Churchill (4)
- Re-read: The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (4)
- The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (4+)
- Don Quixote by Miguel Cervantes (5)
- Play: Electra by Sophocles (4)
- Play: Electra by Euripides (4)
- Inside Outside by Herman Wouk (4)